MY DAD "THE GUITAR MAN" and "THE GLASS MAN"


Living at home as a kid, I can remember my dad was always involved with his hands. By trade he was a glazer, his glass shop was out of his garage, he was either working on his car, making stained glass windows or making guitars. My dad was well known as the guitar man. He made beautiful acoustic as well as electric guitars from scratch. I remember when he used to soak the wood in the bath-tub before he would begin shaping it and clamping it in the guitar mold. I recall people would ask me "Is your dad the guitar man? or the glass man?" The truck pictured below is a 1951 Ford pick-up. Although the one pictured is not the actual truck, my dad had one for his glass company called Bern's Glass. He operated his business out of his garage. The garage was stocked with glass and he actually had a glass rack on the left side of his truck. Everybody always said my dad looked like Roy Rogers....

Halloween on Barrydale Street, 1970's

Halloween on Barrydale Street, 1970's