BIRDS LOOSE in GRANTS


Seems funny now that I have been on a roll with stories from my past, that this memory popped up - I remember when I was about 8 or 9 around 1965 or 1966, when my mom took me to W.T. Grant Co. on Amar Rd. or also known as Grants for school supplies such as PeeChee folders, paper, pencils, dividers and even some clothes -
I recall when I was walking by the bird cages in the pet department I for some reason just felt like causing some excitment. As I passed the big bird cage, I unclamped
the door and left it open and kept walking on into other departments. Not as dramatic as the movie, but still a funny reminder. Why I am sharing this, I don't know, but it sure was fun watching all the birds flying around inside the store. There were customers, sales clerks, the store cashiers and the store manager running around chasing the birds trying to catch them. I had the most stoic look on my face, but inside I was busting up. Shame on me. I think this is the first time I have shared this story.

Halloween on Barrydale Street, 1970's

Halloween on Barrydale Street, 1970's